Research

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
  • 08 Feb 2016 4:11 PM
    Reply # 3807453 on 1342526

The Carolina Chapter will be hosting a workshop with Sherry Goodill on "Making DMT Research Work For You" (Friday, March 4, 2016) and "First Things First - Developing Formal Assessment For DMT Practice" (Saturday, March 5, 2016). 

Location: Wesley Long Education Center 501 N Elam Ave, Greensboro, NC 27403

Early bird rates end February 19, 2016!

Please complete registration form that is available at http://www.dance-drama-therapy.org/training-education-workshops and email to CarolinaADTA@gmail.com. An invoice for payment will be sent to you. Registration will be considered complete when payment is received.

• 01 Feb 2016 2:59 PM
    Reply # 3794256 on 1342526

Call for Volunteer Participants

Embodied assessment of intergenerational trauma through Dance/Movement Therapy

My name is Leah Raulerson, and I am a DMT-in-training at Naropa University’s Somatic Counseling program in Boulder, Colorado. I am currently seeking volunteer participants to participate in research on intergenerational trauma and its embodiment.

The purpose of the study is to explore qualitative differences between the experience of trauma that has been transmitted between generations as opposed to directly experienced trauma. This researcher seeks to discuss countertransferential felt senses within the therapist, and those presented and reported by a client with intergenerational trauma.  

This invitation is open to clinicians who meet the following criteria: 

• Participants hold R-DMT or BC-DMT credential
    • Participants have worked with clients living with intergenerational trauma and can speak to their own embodied experience and the reported experience of the client.
    • Participants are willing to participate in a confidential interview of less than one hour.

If you have further questions, and are interested to participate in this study, please email or call with questions. Informed consent will be emailed upon response to this post.

Many thanks for your generosity,

Leah Raulerson

MA Somatic Counseling Student

Naropa University

Boulder, CO

(202)642-2494

lraulerson@students.naropa.edu

• 28 Jan 2016 7:54 PM
    Reply # 3788347 on 1342526

Hello,

My name is Katie Dominguez and I am a graduate student in the Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling program at Columbia College Chicago. I write to extend a warm invitation to participate in my research study exploring the phenomenon of disenfranchised grief. You are being invited to participate if you are a dance/movement therapist (credentialed as an R-DMT or BC-DMT) who either currently works or has worked with individuals who have experienced trauma and/or grief, and are likely to have experienced this phenomenon.

The purpose of this study is to gather clinical accounts and narratives from dance/movement therapists, like you, who work with or have worked with clients experiencing disenfranchised grief. The study further intends to identify how a client’s lived experience of disenfranchised grief presents itself within the therapeutic relationship, along with addressing the role of the body and impacts on nonverbal communication during the experience of disenfranchised grief.

In order to participate in this study, you must have an R-DMT or BC-DMT credential. Secondly, you must self-identify as having worked or currently working with clients experiencing disenfranchised grief. Disenfranchised grief is operationally defined for this study:

“Disenfranchised grief is grief that persons experience when they incur a loss that is not or cannot be openly acknowledged, publicly mourned, or socially supported” (Doka, 1989, p. 4).

There are four areas in which a person can experience disenfranchisement of grief and they are as follows:

1.     Relationships –relationships that are not deemed appropriate or legitimate by society or relationships outside of the immediate family.

(E.g. friends, homosexual relationships, neighbor, ex-spouse, etc. )

2.     Loss –death related losses that are not socially defined as significant, a loss that does not involve a death, and non-human death/loss.

(E.g. abortion, peri/still/neonatal deaths, animal/pet, religious conversions, career, foreclosure, adolescent romantic relationship, Alzheimer’s disease, infertility, etc.)

3.     Grievers –the person is not seen as capable of grief, or is not recognized as having a need to grieve.

(E.g. children, those with intellectual/developmental disabilities, the elderly, etc.)

4.     Circumstances of the Death –stigmatized death may inhibit those grieving from receiving social support

(E.g. suicide, autoerotic deaths, drunk driver deaths, homicide, etc.)

5.     Ways Individuals Grieve –certain ways of expressing grief are not socially acceptable

(E.g. length of grieving, excessive or very little expressions of emotion, etc.)              

*The experience of loss and grief in any circumstance, whether listed above or not, does not necessarily mean disenfranchisement has occurred. It is the act of being denied the social support, acknowledgment of feelings, or the right to openly express these feelings (mourn), is when disenfranchisement of grief occurs.

If you self-identify as having identified disenfranchised grief in your current or past clients, and remain interested in participating in this study, please refer to the attached informed consent form for further details. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email with further questions about the study or the informed consent form. Thank you for your consideration and for the meaningful work you do.

With appreciation,

Katie Dominguez

2016 M.A. Candidate, Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling

Department of Creative Arts Therapies

Columbia College Chicago

katie.dominguez@loop.colum.edu

805-889-8159

Doka K J 1989 Disenfranchised grief: Recognizing hidden Doka, K. J. (1989). Disenfranchised Grief. In K. J. Doka (Ed.), Disenfranchised grief: Recognizing hidden sorrow (pp. 3-11). Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.

• 15 Jan 2016 10:01 PM
    Reply # 3762533 on 1342526

Hello,

My name is Katie Dominguez and I am a graduate student in the Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling program at Columbia College Chicago. I write to extend a warm invitation to participate in my research study exploring the phenomenon of disenfranchised grief. You are being invited to participate if you are a dance/movement therapist (credentialed as an R-DMT or BC-DMT) who either currently works or has worked with individuals who have experienced trauma and/or grief, and are likely to have experienced this phenomenon.

The purpose of this study is to gather clinical accounts and narratives from dance/movement therapists, like you, who work with or have worked with clients experiencing disenfranchised grief. The study further intends to identify how a client’s lived experience of disenfranchised grief presents itself within the therapeutic relationship, along with addressing the role of the body and impacts on nonverbal communication during the experience of disenfranchised grief.

In order to participate in this study, you must have an R-DMT or BC-DMT credential. Secondly, you must self-identify as having worked or currently working with clients experiencing disenfranchised grief. Disenfranchised grief is operationally defined for this study:

“Disenfranchised grief is grief that persons experience when they incur a loss that is not or cannot be openly acknowledged, publicly mourned, or socially supported” (Doka, 1989, p. 4).

There are four areas in which a person can experience disenfranchisement of grief and they are as follows:

1.     Relationships –relationships that are not deemed appropriate or legitimate by society or relationships outside of the immediate family.

(E.g. friends, homosexual relationships, neighbor, ex-spouse, etc. )

2.     Loss –death related losses that are not socially defined as significant, a loss that does not involve a death, and non-human death/loss.

(E.g. abortion, peri/still/neonatal deaths, animal/pet, religious conversions, career, foreclosure, adolescent romantic relationship, Alzheimer’s disease, infertility, etc.)

3.     Grievers –the person is not seen as capable of grief, or is not recognized as having a need to grieve.

(E.g. children, those with intellectual/developmental disabilities, the elderly, etc.)

4.     Circumstances of the Death –stigmatized death may inhibit those grieving from receiving social support

(E.g. suicide, autoerotic deaths, drunk driver deaths, homicide, etc.)

5.     Ways Individuals Grieve –certain ways of expressing grief are not socially acceptable

(E.g. length of grieving, excessive or very little expressions of emotion, etc.)              

*The experience of loss and grief in any circumstance, whether listed above or not, does not necessarily mean disenfranchisement has occurred. It is the act of being denied the social support, acknowledgment of feelings, or the right to openly express these feelings (mourn), is when disenfranchisement of grief occurs.

If you self-identify as having identified disenfranchised grief in your current or past clients, and remain interested in participating in this study, please refer to the attached informed consent form for further details. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email with further questions about the study or the informed consent form. Thank you for your consideration and for the meaningful work you do.

With appreciation,

Katie Dominguez

2016 M.A. Candidate, Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling

Department of Creative Arts Therapies

Columbia College Chicago

katie.dominguez@loop.colum.edu

805-889-8159

Doka K J 1989 Disenfranchised grief: Recognizing hidden Doka, K. J. (1989). Disenfranchised Grief. In K. J. Doka (Ed.), Disenfranchised grief: Recognizing hidden sorrow (pp. 3-11). Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.

• 27 Dec 2015 11:23 AM
    Reply # 3720721 on 1342526

Hello,

I am reviewing a book that references the use of reconsolidation therapy to treat PTSD and substance abuse. I am interested in finding any references to this approach by dance/movement therapists or anyone who I might speak to about their work.

Thank-you.

Sincerely,

Naomi Nim, BC-DMT, LPC, NCC

NaomiNimTherapist@gmail.com

• 19 Dec 2015 8:27 PM
    Reply # 3710719 on 1342526

Dance/Movement Therapy Student Seeking Research Study Participants:

My name is Sara McIntyre and I am a graduate student at Lesley University. I am conducting a study on the use of touch in Dance/Movement therapy as part of my master’s thesis at Lesley University. I am seeking participants who meet the following criteria: You must be BC-DMT certified and have five or more years of clinical experience.

The study will consist of one interview, lasting approximately 45-60 minutes, conducted via Skype/FaceTime. I will ask open-ended questions about how you use touch in your practice, and about your professional opinions regarding touch in DMT.  Interviews will be conducted during the month of January.  The interview will be recorded and only viewed by the researcher for transcription.

Your participation would be anonymous and your identity would be kept confidential.  Participation is completely voluntary and there are no benefits for participating. If you are interested in participating or have questions, please contact researcher Sara McIntyre at (503) 396-3044 or smcinty2@lesley.edu. You may also contact supervising professor Dr. Yasmine Iliya at (631) 974-0971 or yiliya@lesley.edu with any questions or concerns. 

• 16 Dec 2015 8:41 AM
    Reply # 3701203 on 1342526

Hello fellow researchers and students!

The research sub-committee of the Education, Research and Practice committee have been working diligently to upgrade our pages in order to offer you the most up-to date information on DMT research. Our new pages include:

- Easier access to updated resources and tools for research

- Updated bibliographies on many subjects of interest 

- Information and reference list of effectiveness studies in DMT

- Updated information about the Research Subcommittee and its services

You can find the links to this valuable information here: 

http://www.adta.org/Research-Subcommittee

http://www.adta.org/Effectiveness-Studies

http://www.adta.org/Tools-for-Conducting-Research

Keep your eyes open for further research resources, such as DMT white pages and a call for research posters in the spring for our conference poster session!

Happy holidays to all,

Jennifer Tantia, PhD

Research Sub-committee chair

• 09 Dec 2015 3:13 PM
    Reply # 3690470 on 1342526

Dance/Movement Therapy Student Seeking Research Study Participants:

My name is Sara McIntyre and I am a graduate student at Lesley University. I am conducting a study on the use of touch in Dance/Movement therapy as part of my master’s thesis at Lesley University. I am seeking participants who meet the following criteria: You must be BC-DMT certified and have five or more years of clinical experience.

The study will consist of one interview, lasting approximately 45-60 minutes, conducted via Skype/FaceTime. I will ask open-ended questions about how you use touch in your practice, and about your professional opinions regarding touch in DMT.  Interviews will be conducted during the month of January.  The interview will be recorded and only viewed by the researcher for transcription.          

Your participation would be anonymous and your identity would be kept confidential.  Participation is completely voluntary and there are no benefits for participating. If you are interested in participating or have questions, please contact researcher Sara McIntyre at (503) 396-3044 or smcinty2@lesley.edu. You may also contact supervising professor Dr. Yasmine Iliya at (631) 974-0971 or yiliya@lesley.edu with any questions or concerns.

• 24 Nov 2015 4:28 PM
    Reply # 3658653 on 1342526

My name is Tonia Levison and I am a graduate student in the Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling program at Columbia College Chicago.  I am writing to extend a warm invitation to participate in my research study if you have experienced uncomfortable changes in behavior and/or mood after giving birth. I am seeking to interview participants to understand their experiences.  From these interviews I will create participant centered dance/movement therapy interventions based on the experiences of participants as a means of alleviating symptoms and preventing a diagnosis.

In order to participate in this study, you must be a female who self identifies with the following criteria:

·       Experienced at least two changes in behavior or mood after giving birth as listed below.

·       Parented your baby after giving birth.

·       Conceived without medical intervention.

·       Was over 18 when you became pregnant and were in a consensual relationship.

·       Has not been formally diagnosed with PPD.

·       Is not currently experiencing changes in behavior or mood after giving birth as listed below.

·       Speaks English and lives in the Untied State.

Uncomfortable changes in behavior or mood:

Decreased appetite; difficulty sleeping; irritability and anger; overwhelming fatigue; loss of interest in sex; lack of joy in life; feeling low, feelings of shame, guilt, or inadequacy; mood swings; difficulty bonding with your baby; withdrawal from family and friends.

If you are interested in participating in this study, please contact me at (614)565-9013 or e-mail me at tonia.levison@loop.colum.edu by December 15.   If you know someone who would be interested please forward my information to them.

Thank you,

Tonia Levison

• 08 Oct 2015 11:24 PM
    Reply # 3568221 on 1342526

Call for Papers

Special Issue of the Journal of Creativity in Mental Health

Topic: Anti-Bullying and Interpersonal Violence

Submission deadline: Dec. 5, 2015

This year, a 2015-2016 ACA Presidential Initiative involves an anti-bullying and interpersonal violence campaign designed to promote human dignity and empowerment. In response to the call of ACA President Thelma Duffey, The Journal of Creativity in Mental Health will be publishing a special issue on Anti-Bullying and Interpersonal Violence.  Part of this initiative involves raising awareness, collecting resources and interventions, conducting research, and educating others on this subject.  Counselors can make a powerful impact on the lives of people who experience mistreatment.  Our collective voices can also be a force in advocating for human dignity, respect, and empowerment for all individuals.

This special issue of JCMH will focus on the following:

·   the personal and social aspects of bullying and interpersonal violence,

·   how counselors can educate, advocate, and facilitate treatment and prevention from a strength and resilience perspective, and

·   policies and practices to prevent bullying and interpersonal violence in work, school, community and online settings.

This special issue is anticipated for publication in the summer of 2016.  Articles will be peer reviewed and must follow current APA guidelines.  When submitting a manuscript, please include a cover letter, separate from the manuscript.  Include a statement that the manuscript has not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere. 

Guidelines for submission can be can be found at http://www.creativecounselor.org/Journal.html.

Submit manuscripts electronically by December 5, 2015, through ScholarOne at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/JCMH. 

If you have additional questions, please contact Thelma Duffey, Editor; Shane Haberstroh, Associate Editor; or Catherine Somody, Associate Editor, at jcmh02@gmail.com.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 

EMAIL US   |   ADDRESS: 10632 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 108, Columbia, MD 21044

PHONE: 410.997.4040   FAX: 410.997.4048   |  Copyright ADTA 2009-2015 © All Rights Reserved

website by chrishillmedia.com