What Degree / Credential Do Dance/Movement Therapists Receive?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAfter graduating with the appropriate Master’s degree, dance/movement therapists have the opportunity to receive two levels of credentials: first, the title of Registered Dance/Movement Therapist (R-DMT), and later, with additional supervised, clinical experience and the passage of written exams, the Board Certified Dance/Movement Therapist (BC-DMT) credential.

If the Master’s program is ADTA approved, graduates are eligible to apply for R-DMT credentials upon graduation. Students who have chosen to pursue the Alternate Route may apply for the R-DMT after all coursework and internship hours are completed. The R-DMT signifies the first level of credentialing and the basic level of competence. R-DMTs are able to seek employment as dance/movement therapists in a facility and work underneath the supervision of BC-DMTs. It is considered unethical for R-DMTs to engage in private practice or practice as a dance/movement therapist without the supervision of a BC-DMT.

R-DMTs accrue work and supervisions hours for the attainment of the BC-DMT. BC-DMT eligibility requirements include two (2) years of full-time, paid clinical work, and at least 48 hours of supervision by a BC-DMT followed by an application process. The BC-DMT credential signifies a higher level of competence, and enables the clinician to train others, provide supervision, and to engage in private practice. Visit the ADTA website for more information on education and credentials.

Need answers to other FAQs? Check out:

What is dance/movement therapy?

Where do dance/movement therapists work? What do they do?

What does a dance/movement therapy session look like?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.