Are you ready? It’s coming… National Dance Week begins on April 24th! This year National Dance Week Foundation (NDWF) is calling for all dancers to take the lead in creating and organizing ways to “Celebrate Dance and Promote Fun Fitness”.
Historically dancers have utilized National Dance Week to encourage the growth and development of dance in the United States. It is a week to celebrate dance and raise public awareness of the values, importance, and contributions of dance to our daily lives and culture.
Ways to contribute to National Dance Week:
- Coordinate a dance mob (NDWF has choreography for you!)
- Take a dance class
- Support a local dance performance
- Teach a dance class
- Learn the GimmeFive dance to “Uptown Funk”*
- Offer a dance presentation to a local school
- Take part in NDWF’s essay and poster contest
- Spread the word about dance/movement therapy
- Write a blog post
- Check-out events in your area
- Share videos from ADTA Youtube channel
- and don’t forget to dance, dance and dance some more
*Michelle Obama and Ellen DeGeneres are challenging America to learn the #GimmeFive dance, as part of the Let’s Move initiative that celebrates moving as a healthy way of life! Join in the campaign in preparation of National Dance Week.
To participate, video tape yourself, colleagues and clients [with permission] dancing the #GimmieFive dance. Submit videos to Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send videos by April 12 if you’d like it included in the official ADTA mashup!
How will you celebrate dance during National Dance Week?