DMTCB Recertification/Continuing Education
- R-DMT Continuing Education Information
- BC-DMT Continuing Education Information
- Recertification Filing Form – must be filed by June 30th of the year recertification is due.
- Recertification Extension Request Form – must be filed by June 30th of the year recertification is due.
Compliance with Continuing Education requirements for the R-DMT and BC-DMT is known as recertification. Recertification and payment of an annual maintenance fee are necessary to maintain DMTCB credentials. Recertification promotes quality assurance and professionalism in dance/movement therapy practice, and these in turn, promote better service delivery to consumers.
Developments in the theory and practice of dance/movement therapy must be tracked by individual practitioners through continuing education. A five year time interval for both R-DMT and BC-DMT recertification provides time for members to accrue CE’s without undue hardship, while ensuring sufficient frequency of continuing professional education.
Continuing Education is understood to mean activities which the professional seeks in order to enhance dance/movement therapy knowledge and competence. Continuing education (CE) hours are defined as actual clock hours of participation in an activity.
Categories of activities:
- Attending workshops, conferences, seminars
- Taking college/university courses
- Receiving BC-DMT supervision (for R-DMTs) or providing supervision/consultation (for BC-DMTs)
- Publication activities
- Research activity
The following status options are available to R-DMTs and BC-DMTs:
- Reduced Practice
Candidates for this status will sign an attestation that they practice no more than 10 hours per week as a dance/movement therapist. They: May use the “R-DMT” or “BC-DMT” designation; Must continue to adhere to the ADTA Code of Ethics; Have no time limitation for retaining this status; $65 per year fee; 5 hours for R-DMTs/10 hours for BC-DMTs of continuing education are required every 5 years with recertification date; Requires submission of form and fee payment.
Not currently practicing as a dance/movement therapist. May use the “R-DMT/BC-DMT Retired-Inactive” designation, but not “R-DMT/BC-DMT”; Must continue to adhere to the ADTA Code of Ethics; No time limitation for retaining this status; $65 per year fee; No requirement for continuing education hours; Requires submission of form and fee payment.
Not currently practicing as a dance/movement therapist. May use the “R-DMT/BC-DMT Inactive” designation, but not “R-DMT/BC-DMT”; Must continue to adhere to the ADTA Code of Ethics; 4 year time limit for retaining this status; $60 per year fee; No requirement for continuing education hours; If the R-DMT’s/BC-DMT’s recertification date passes while under this status, the 50/100 hours of continuing education are due once the Temporary-Inactive status is expired. The R-DMT/BC-DMT can request a one-year extension form from the time the status expires to complete the necessary hours; requires submission of form and fee of $65 payment.
- R-DMTs/BC-DMTs may also choose to relinquish their credential. Reinstatement to active status from any of these status options or from relinquished status is obtainable through maintenance of continuing education hours, application to the Dance/Movement Therapy Certification Board, and by payment of all applicable fees.